The other day I wanted to bake something from scratch, but I didn’t have tons on options in the way of ingredients. In fact, I shamefully had almost no baking ingredients in my whole kitchen. It was the perfect day for these three ingredient shortbread cookies. Butter, sugar, flour. That’s it! How often can you say you baked something without running to the store?
You can add butterscotch chips, dunk an end in chocolate or maybe even add some lemon or orange zest to kick this recipe up a notch. But on this day I was feeling like a purist. Good thing… because I didn’t have any of those fancy ingredients anyway.
Here’s my recipe for 3 ingredient shortbread cookies.
Yields 24 cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add flour slowly and mix till texture is like clay.
- Press dough firmly and evenly in to ungreased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake for about 40-45 minutes (till very lightly browned on top. Edges should be just starting to brown.).
- Let stand for no more than 5 minutes and cut into squares while cookies are still warm. (Cutting after they cool will be too difficult and not visual pleasing).
- Leave in pan to cool thoroughly. (Shortbread will crisp as it cools.)