It’s a classic combo that never disappoints: Sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, basil, garlic and fresh mozzarella.
This modern variation on those Old-World flavors is easy to make, but tastes like something you would order at your favorite Italian restaurant. Be sure to serve with some slices of crusty bread to soak up the creamy mozzarella sauce.
The fresher the ingredients, the better your dish will be. Since it’s summer, definitely go for fresh basil — maybe grown in your own yard. And pro tip: always spring for fresh cheeses, particularly parmesan.
Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Tortellini with creamy spinach and cheese sauce
Serves 3-4: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes separated from oil (I like to visit my local grocer’s antipasto bar for freshness)
- 2-3 tbsp oil (drained from sun dried tomatoes, see above)
- 4-5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 big handfuls of spinach (about 3-4 ounces)
- 1 and 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes (use less for less heat)
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded or pulled
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 12 ounces uncooked spinach tortellini (I like spinach tortilla for extra color, but any kind will do)
- grated fresh parmesan cheese, to serve
- In a large skillet, warm sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and oil on medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir so garlic doesn’t go beyond light browning.Add spinach to pan, and cook until slightly wilted.
- Add half and half, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to boil.
- Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese to mixture and stir until melted. Reduce heat.
- Toss in fresh basil and stir.
- In a separate pan, cook tortellini according to instructions on package — usually about 4 minutes for fresh tortellini, or until they float to the top of the water. Drain and add to skillet sauce pan.
- Stir until tortellini are coated with sauce.
- Dish and grate fresh parmesan overtop.
- Eat it up!
For the best deals on healthy ingredients for this and other recipes, visit everybodycravespantry.com.
Adapted from Julia’s Album.